–Report Features New Disclosures of Company’s Impact on Planet—Including Scope 1, 2, and Select Scope 3 Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions–
– Aligns with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) and Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) Reporting Frameworks –
Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: ALNY), the leading RNAi therapeutics company, today published its 2021 Corporate Responsibility Report. This year’s edition, which is the company’s first full report, presents findings from its inaugural materiality assessment, enhances transparency with environmental disclosures aligned to GRI and SASB frameworks, highlights how the structure of corporate responsibility has strengthened across the company, and details progress of partnerships to advance health equity.
“Since Alnylam’s inception, corporate responsibility has been a guiding principle for who we are and how we operate around the globe,” said Yvonne Greenstreet, MBChB, MBA, Chief Executive Officer of Alnylam. “In 2021, we integrated corporate responsibility even further into our company’s RNA by addressing health inequities in our communities, advancing efforts to reduce our environmental impact, and strengthening our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. As we continue to drive these efforts forward for our patients, science, employees, communities, and planet, we are also committed to transparently and regularly communicating our progress.”
Key highlights from this report include:
- Establishment of baseline measures of Alnylam’s environmental impact. In 2021, Alnylam launched a comprehensive and ongoing process to quantify and mitigate the company’s greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and waste management. As a result, the company can now assess and disclose its impact on the planet for the first time, including the disclosure of scope 1, 2, and select scope 3 GHG emissions, and align these disclosures with the GRI and SASB frameworks.
- Strengthening of the structure and oversight of corporate responsibility at Alnylam. Alnylam hired its first director of corporate responsibility and established a global steering committee, which oversees working groups dedicated to advancing the company’s five pillars of corporate responsibility: patients, science, employees, communities, and planet.
- Expanded efforts addressing health inequities in local communities. Embedded in Alnylam’s culture is a commitment to tackle barriers to health and healthcare access for all. In 2021, the company launched Alnylam Challengers with a $1 million investment in non-profit partner Acumen America. This community impact initiative advances bold, social enterprises that tackle health inequalities for underrepresented populations and people living in underserved communities.
- Enhancements to Alnylam’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) plan. The company is assessing and enhancing DEI-related policies and actions in all aspects of its operations and interactions. DEI goals are framed around five key focus areas and includes an externally focused goal to increase diversity in our clinical trials processes.
To learn more about corporate responsibility at Alnylam, download the full 2021 Corporate Responsibility Report here.
About Alnylam Pharmaceuticals
Alnylam (Nasdaq: ALNY) has led the translation of RNA interference (RNAi) into a whole new class of innovative medicines with the potential to transform the lives of people afflicted with rare and prevalent diseases with unmet need. Based on Nobel Prize-winning science, RNAi therapeutics represent a powerful, clinically validated approach yielding transformative medicines. Since its founding 20 years ago, Alnylam has led the RNAi Revolution and continues to deliver on a bold vision to turn scientific possibility into reality. Alnylam’s commercial RNAi therapeutic products are ONPATTRO® (patisiran), GIVLAARI® (givosiran), OXLUMO® (lumasiran) and Leqvio® (inclisiran) being developed and commercialized by Alnylam’s partner, Novartis. Alnylam has a deep pipeline of investigational medicines, including six product candidates that are in late-stage development. Alnylam is executing on its “Alnylam P5x25” strategy to deliver transformative medicines in both rare and common diseases benefiting patients around the world through sustainable innovation and exceptional financial performance, resulting in a leading biotech profile. Alnylam is headquartered in Cambridge, MA. For more information about our people, science, and pipeline, please visit www.alnylam.com and engage with us on Twitter at @Alnylam, on LinkedIn, or on Instagram.
Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Christine Regan Lindenboom
(Investors and Media)