1934 Act Registration No. 1-14700
SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20549
REPORT OF FOREIGN PRIVATE ISSUER
PURSUANT TO RULE 13a-16 OR 15d-16 OF
THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934
For the month of October 2015
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing
(Translation of Registrants Name Into English)
No. 8, Li-Hsin Rd. 6,
Hsinchu Science Park,
(Address of Principal Executive Offices)
(Indicate by check mark whether the registrant files or will file annual reports under cover of Form 20-F or Form 40-F.)
Form 20-F x Form 40-F ¨
(Indicate by check mark whether the registrant by furnishing the information contained in this form is also thereby furnishing the information to the Commission pursuant to Rule 12g3-2(b) under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.)
Yes ¨ No x
(If Yes is marked, indicated below the file number assigned to the registrant in connection with Rule 12g3-2(b): 82: .)
Pursuant to the requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the registrant has duly caused this report to be signed on its behalf by the undersigned, thereunto duly authorized.
|Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Ltd.|
|Date: October 15, 2015||By|
|Vice President & Chief Financial Officer|
TSMC Reports Third Quarter EPS of NT$2.91
Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C., October 15, 2015 - TSMC today announced consolidated revenue of NT$212.51 billion, net income of NT$75.33 billion, and diluted earnings per share of NT$2.91 (US$0.46 per ADR unit) for the third quarter ended September 30, 2015.
Year-over-year, third quarter revenue increased 1.7% while net income and diluted EPS both decreased 1.3%. Compared to second quarter 2015, third quarter results represent a 3.4% increase in revenue, and a 5.1% decrease in net income. All figures were prepared in accordance with TIFRS on a consolidated basis.
In US dollars, third quarter revenue was $6.67 billion, which was essentially flat with the previous quarter but decreased 4.3% year-over-year.
Gross margin for the quarter was 48.2%, operating margin was 36.9%, and net profit margin was 35.4%. Due to the termination of TSMC Solar operation in third quarter, TSMC incurred a loss of NT$2.8 billion, which negatively impacted operating profit margin by about 1.3 percentage points and EPS by about NT$0.08.
Shipments of 16/20-nanometer accounted for 21% of wafer revenues, and 28-nanometer process technology accounted for 27% of total wafer revenues. Advanced technologies, defined as 28-nanometer and more advanced technologies, accounted for 48% of total wafer revenues.
Due to a more favorable exchange rate between the NT dollar and the US dollar, TSMCs third quarter revenue exceeded the high end of the guidance given in July, said Lora Ho, SVP and Chief Financial Officer of TSMC. The ramp of our 16-nanometer technologies, which started in third quarter, accelerates in fourth quarter and is expected to contribute to fourth quarter revenue more significantly. Based on our current business outlook and exchange rate assumption of 1 US dollar to 32.71 NT dollars, management expects overall performance for fourth quarter 2015 to be as follows:
|●||Revenue is expected to be between NT$201 billion and NT$204 billion;|
|●||Gross profit margin is expected to be between 47.5% and 49.5%;|
|●||Operating profit margin is expected to be between 36.5% and 38.5%.|
The management also states 2015 capital budget to be about US$8 billion.
TSMCs 2015 third quarter consolidated results :
|(Unit: NT$ million, except for EPS)|
Inc. (Dec.) %
Inc. (Dec.) %
Income from operations
Income before tax
|a:||3Q2015 figures have not been approved by Board of Directors|
|b:||Based on 25,930 million weighted average outstanding shares|
TSMC is the worlds largest dedicated semiconductor foundry, providing the industrys leading process technology and the foundrys largest portfolio of process-proven libraries, IPs, design tools and reference flows. The Companys owned capacity in 2015 is expected to be above 9 million (12-inch equivalent) wafers, including capacity from three advanced 12-inch GIGAFAB facilities, four eight-inch fabs, one six-inch fab, as well as TSMCs wholly owned subsidiaries, WaferTech and TSMC China. TSMC is the first foundry to provide both 20nm and 16nm production capabilities. Its corporate headquarters are in Hsinchu, Taiwan. For more information about TSMC please visit http://www.tsmc.com.
# # #
Senior VP & CFO
|TSMC Acting Spokesperson:
|For Further Information: